The Starlight of God
1Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the
days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,
2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
1. At His first coming, Herod was sitting on the throne to resist Him
2. On His second coming the antichrist will be the king in Jerusalem
to resist Him also.
3. On coming into your life…who is standing to oppose Him?
- Were probably, astronomers, prophets, or dream interpreters.
- The braved discomforts and perils to
worship the King
- By the time they arrived in Jerusalem Jesus was already born for over a year. The means of transport were not as today.
was after a year
1. They had to make preparations for the journey…which took many days
2. When they arrived in Judea they had to seek and wait for the scribes to answer them…where is he that is born King of the Jews?
Going to the wrong place
- Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem….verse 1
Why come to a wrong place?
- 1. They followed their thinking instead of God’s leading.
- 2. They thought surely kings are in the capital…Jerusalem.
- 3. But when the capital had another
king the King chose another small manger in a small town…Bethlehem.
The Love and zeal of the wise men
1. They came from far.
2. They were
not satisfied by just seeing the star.
3. They said they must see the King.
4. They said not only that we must worship Him.
5. They said we must offer to Him the best
Seen His star
Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in
the east, and are come to worship him.
The first visit brought trouble!
- Matt. 2:3
- When Herod the king had heard these things,
he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.
- Why were they troubled? They supposed to be happy….it was a birthday!
The causes of the trouble
Herod thought he could lose his throne.
2. Herod evil conscience might have been was scratched.
3. Jerusalem was troubled because they were not ready for the Messiah…,they wanted to continue with their lives.
Are you afraid if Jesus comes now?
- May be
today some people are afraid of losing some pleasures and freedom if Jesus becomes the centre of their life.
They want a Jesus they can control but not vice versa
2. But…some will still be troubled when Jesus comes again for the Church…if
we are not ready.
Herod is always Herod!
4And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
5 And they said unto him, In Bethlehem
of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Judah, art not the least among the princes of Judah: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.
Keep the purity
does not benefit the Church when the world mixes with the Church.
- The unregenerated remain the same even among believers and more amongst the religious folks.
Educated beyond intellect
1. The scribes easily and correctly knew that the Messiah was to be born in Bethlehem.
They even had scriptures ready.
2. They could send others but themselves could not move.
3. They knew the doctrines, geography, prophecies but made an idol out of it.
- Matt. 2:7-8
- 7Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.
he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.
The evil mathematics of Herod
1. Herod calculated the exact time when Christ was born.
2. He refused to lay his crown on the feet of Jesus but instead sought to kill Him.
3. What he learned actually hurt him,
offended him and angered him.
4. God had already calculated that Jesus was to be born in Bethlehem.
Your star will appear again
Matt. 2:9-10 When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood
over where the young child was.
10 When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
Do not err by dear brethren
- The star had not led them to Jerusalem….God will wait until you correct your mistakes.
- Your mistakes can be dangerous for the Lord
Jesus and His work.
- If we are on the right track God will guide you.
- The starlight
of God leads you to Christ.
Till it came and stood
- Our destination is Christ.
- We must only stop at His feet.
- That is where our heart shall rest.
- Exceeding great joy: …all who seek the Lord experience such joy...when they
see another beacon of God’s guidance.
- Matt. 2:11
- And when they were come into the house, they
saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
The preeminence of Christ
- “The scripture says…the young child with Mary his mother”……not Mary with the child.
- The Child was far greater than the mother.
- The wise men worshipped the Child not the Mary.
who really seek the Lord shall find Him. All who see the Lord shall truly worship.
- All who truly worship the Lord offer
- All who truly offer to Him offer the best.
- They opened
their treasures…they had not opened them in Jerusalem.
Not a mite we shall withhold
- The cost to meet the expenditure of Jesus to Egypt.
- What you offer will be for the travelling expenses for sending the Son of God to the hearts of men.
- Had the wise men knew what they offered was to help the Son of God that much they could have been very happy.
- Gold signifies kingliness and divinity.
- Frankincense signifies the life and the intercessory work of Christ.
- Myrrh signifies the death of the Lord to atone for sins of the world.
- God has come to offer his life for us.
- Matt. 2:12
- And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.
- We should not return to Herod…anything which is killing the life of the Son of God.
- If you have truly met Christ
..you always follow another way….glory to glory.
- May the children of God show the newness of life.
- For wise men only!
- December can not be the month which Jesus was born. Be wise Because the shepherds who were in the fields at night clearly show it was not
winter. During winter shepherd would bring flocks into corals at night. Mishnaic passage says flocks lay out all the year round, the flocks were destined for Temple-sacrifices, and, the shepherds, were not ordinary shepherds but rabbis. ‘He was to be
revealed from Migdal Eder, 'the tower of the flock’. Was the lamb born in the "lambing season" which is February in Palestine?